SailNet Community - View Single Post - The Joys and Pitfalls of Buying a New Boat - Part 1
View Single Post
Old 11-29-2013
arrgh!

titustiger27 is on a distinguished road
Re: The Joys and Pitfalls of Buying a New Boat - Part 1

[quote=SlowButSteady;927506]I would suggest buying a relatively cheap live aboard boat now and sailing the bejeezus out of it locally for a year or two (at least). Get used to the whole idea of living on a boat, and hone your sailing skills, while you figure out just what sort of boat will meet your needs. Then, when you do start looking for the boat you're going to take on "the big adventure" you'll be in a much better position to get right boat, AND you'll be much more likely to have the skills necessary to complete your voyage. Otherwise, you could easily leave in the wrong boat and without the experience you need to stay relatively safe.[/quote]

(I know this is after the fact for the first post questions..)

I like this. I have owned two (small) sailboats: a LoneStar 13 and a Paceship P-12. The first I loved, but the second was not the first boat. Besides the first being bigger when I was smaller and the second being smaller when I am a bit bigger, I liked the design of the first better.

I am in the market for a third and I feel all the things I learned from both will help me find 3Charm (sounds like a good name). (little things like, look at the trailer. Even if it is free, it has to work.)

Now only does having a first boat help you sail better, it will help you buy better.

My boat purchases were 31 years apart, so the more recent had the more valued experience.

There are a lot of things about sailing, that has little to do with hoisting a sail:

1) where are you going to store it... in the winter, in the summer, in the bay with an anchor.

2) how do you move it, if it leaves the water (my boat was in great shape --- the trailer which was the means to sailing --- not so).

3) most everything is cheaper with smaller boat.. so when you repair the outboard, you know the value to maintain the future inboard

4) companions... I had expected to have a couple friends willing to sail (and rig at the dock) but those people never materialized.

5) what do you like (or don't) in the set up.
a) I need a higher boom, since my limbo skills have diminished
b) the P-12 had an area below the cockpit that -- when capsized -- added 30 minutes to bailing (not to mention I had to get it to shore to do so)
c) the LS13 had better shackles and stays for rigging... If I kept the P-12, I would have changed that.

Vector X + Y
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook