SailNet Community - View Single Post - Blue Water Sailing School?
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
I took the same courses from the same school and have a few thoughts, some contradictory:
1) As CD said, a lot depends on the instructor (and the students)
2) BWSS is legit (at least they were...)
3) we took our class late in the season and the boat was a little tore up (could be late season, could be cheapskates in the front office... can't really say)
4) We learned enough to go out and charter (without incident, even!), but we had some experience, i had keelboat from US Sailing, the Admiral and i'd been out ~30 daysails and i'd been reading every book on sailing i could get my hands on for years.
5) there were too many people in the class (4)
6) 6 days isn't enough time for all three classes (but it sure fits our modern schedules!)
7) if there's a jerk in the class, you may not learn anything (not our experience, but from one of the instructors 'true sea stories')
8) they really are a bargain, but that has two sides

in short, i did what you're thinking about and it went great (and my wife was in the class also), but "your mileage may vary"

Good luck

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)

Last edited by ReverendMike; 03-02-2007 at 02:18 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook