SailNet Community - View Single Post - Detroit and St. Claire Rivers
View Single Post
Old 02-14-2002

keysrock is on a distinguished road
Detroit and St. Claire Rivers

I have had lots of experience with travel on both the Detroit and St. Clair rivers. A trip from Put-in-Bay on my C&C 35 MKI at 6 knots would take approximatly 10 hours to Lake St. Clair. This is against the current of course. Lake St. Clair has very little current action and is about 26 miles across to the St. Clair River. You figure taht one out. I keep my boat at the head of the Detroit River and go up to Port Huron every year. It can be a 10 to 11 hour trip. My suggestion for both rivers is to use a very detailed chart and stay as close to shore as you can. This keeps you out of the current and speeds this up a lot. Commercial traffic is not usualy a problem. Freighters stick to the bouyed channel and your best time is by staying out of the channel. Also, freighters are huge and easy to see way in advance of actually meeting up with one. The current under the Blue Water Bridge at Port Huron/Sarnia is terrible. Stay as close to the Canadian shore as possible. Again, use the chart, you can go quite close. If you stay in the middle, you will be there all day and also have the danger of downbound freighters which come through at a raapid speed. Have fun in the North Channel, it''s the greatest. Join the Great Lakes Cruising Club, they have extensive private charts of the North Channel which are a great aid.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook