SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Boat...Boat Term Question...
View Single Post
Old 03-02-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
If I were you I would go for a newer boat, and try to avoid one that has a cored hull, and has already made several ocean voyages. The open seas put a lot of strain on a boat, and it is cumulative. When fibreglass bends, it weakens. Also, give some thought to resale. I have found that if you maintain a boat well, you can expect to get what you paid for it (selling price), but will not recoup the money you invested in maintenance (replacing and repairing). Most people who sell boats have a pretty good idea of what they are worth. If the boat is being sold by a broker, they have an extremely good idea of what the boat is worth. I think that when you are done, if you want a seaworthy 35 foot boat, you will end up spending about 50K between purchase and add-ons, regardless of which boat you buy. So the decision becomes whether you want to go with a lower purchase price and invest more money in repairs and upgrades, or if you want to buy something that you need to do less to, and spend more time on the water.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook