SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Stewart 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sapwraia View Post
There are some fantastic old designs out there which were way ahead of their time and have aged well - even able to updated without losing the original spirit. The Cal 40 from 1964 is one (although I've never seen first hand). A real favourite of mine is the Stewart 34 from NZ.

First launched in 1959 it was a revolution on Auckland harbour : light & shallow hull with deep fin keel and spade rudder (actually too small and rules changed later to allow deeper spades - see boat on the sling). Approx 60 built and still enjoying good one design fleet racing - up until the late 80's they were being used for the professional match racing event in NZ. They displace 4,695kg.

A simple concept and can be picked up for a very fair price today looking through the website its almost tempting ..........

Stewart 34 Yachting | The official web site of the Stewart 34 Owners Association of New Zealand

pics ........

What a beautiful boat. I like the hull even more than the other fast oldies that have been posted. The keel is modern but less modern but that hull is just beautiful. The boat has also a great LWL for the size and we can only tell that is am old boat by the cabin design. That is strange how such boats were designed has early as the late 50's and the industry keep producing full keel boats. I guess sailors are really conservative in their ways.

I did never heard about the Designer, Bob Stewart and I could not find on internet nothing about his work, except what you posted. I could find another nice design of his for sell, a 39ft and a steel long keel boat but that was it. I guess he had the bad luck of being born in NZ in a time were the world was not a global place like it is now and was limited by isolation and the small size of the market. A shame and a pity.

1966 CUSTOM BOB STEWART CAMELOT for sale | Trade A Boat, New Zealand

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 11-30-2013 at 07:08 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook