SailNet Community - View Single Post - My First Boat...Boat Term Question...
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007

Kacper is on a distinguished road
My Catalina...

Hey guys,

Well, I put the deposit on that 27' Catalina and already took it for a sea Trial. She sailed well - we had a nice 7 knot breeze that freshened up to a 10-11 knot breeze later on.

The main is actually from a J - 24! Which makes the boat interesting.

The boat will sail at hull speed with just the Genoa! I loved it.

Here's a question... with a sail from the J - 24, the main is almost like a reefed original catalina sail. Do you think that means I could leave the main up in stronger winds because of the reduced sail area? Or does it not matter.

On one hand the sail area is dramatically reduced and moved forward by the smaller sail.

On the other hand, that sail probably wasn't designed to be flying full in a stronger wind.

Give me your thoughts.

The boat survey is happening on Thursday, excited about that.

Here's the boat again in case you forgot what it looked like : (It's my first boat):
http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...g_id=1984&url=

PS.. Oh. Also, I found out that the bulk heads are in fact ORIGINAL, and so are the spreaders on the mast.

Some people messaged me to let me know to replace the original spreaders, and that catalina had a ready to mail kit.

Many report too that the bulk heads tend to rot due to leaky chainplate fittings... I guess I'll see at the survey, I wasn't able to see any noticable damage.

Last edited by Kacper; 03-03-2007 at 04:40 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook