SailNet Community - View Single Post - Parrots on liveaborads/circumnavigations – doable?
View Single Post
Old 03-03-2007

iknoebl is on a distinguished road
Parrot on board

Hi all,
This is my first post to this forum. I also have a timneh grey, about 4 years old. Lola does just fine on board when we cruise the inland waterways on our boat. She likes to watch the other wildlife, although she doesn't like when we go through the locks. The most important thing from the bird's point of view is that they are with you. Timneh's are the sweetest, most intelligent birds. They will bond with you, or another member of the family very strongly. If you are not familiar with keeping a parrot, try to do some research about them and the particular challenges of having a parrot. I think they make the perfect pet for cruising. As was mentioned in an earlier post -- do not have any teflon products on your boat or in your home. The fumes are absolutely deadly to birds. Also, no chemical cleaner fumes allowed. Birds have very sensitive lungs and can die from such fumes.

I would not recommend walking around with the parrot on your shoulder outdoors, even with clipped wings. If they take off, chances are you'll never find them again. Don't forget, they live a long time, so they'll be your companion for many years to come.

P.S. -- I don't think the puffy-sleeved shirt is mandatory for pirates anymore.

Iris
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook