SailNet Community - View Single Post - Is Sailing Sexist?
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Is Sailing Sexist?

Quote:
Originally Posted by titustiger27 View Post
Whew just got through this thread.

First I think the thread should be "How Sexist is Sailing."

And like many similar (ism) topics, the people defending that it isn't, tend to come off as if they are defending if they are or are not.

If a man and a woman go to buy a boat and when the salesperson comes up, the woman says: "We want to buy a boat" (or even if she says "I want to buy a boat.") if the salesperson is male, he will likely still talk to the man. But the same would be true if she wanted to buy a car.

We live in world with a large degree of a sexism.

If there isn't some sexism, then why do the ads in magazines (and the magazines themselves) mostly put the men in power positions and women in bikinis... (Speaking of which, are their any threads on Sailnet where a woman posted a picture of a man with kittens in his pants?)

The book that started the conversation... My guess the title (and the picture) was from the publisher and it was believed that the title --- sexist or not --- would move copies.

...all that said, I would prefer to see a discussion of sexism (all isms) with people not defending if they are a sexist, but by showing what they are doing to eliminate or prevent it

not in pants, but in a boat

It has been an interesting thread. The original poster got her answer, 'affirmative', in the first page.

I just can't believe how many times she's gotten the same answer, since.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook