SailNet Community - View Single Post - Choosing finish for mahogany project
View Single Post
Old 03-04-2007
Senior Moment

SailorMitch will become famous soon enough
I like using Epifanes products, particularly their Wood Finsh (a synthetic varnish) on my exterior teak. Another possibility is Bristol Finish, which is a two-part product that gives good results.

I'm unclear what you mean about the planks. If you are gluing them together, I'd use epoxy, which must be protected against UV (varnish over it.) You also can leave the planks separate, but then you have to notch the edges that meet so that the water cannot come in. Hard to explain, but, for example, on the very bottom board, the top edge would have a notch about 1/2 inch deep along the front edge (about half the thickness of the board itself). The next board up would have a similar notch on the back edge so that when the two meet, the water would have to go "up hill" to come in the hatch.

My companionway hatch is in 3 pieces and that is how they fit together. Make sense?

"Compassion and tolerance are not a sign of weakness, but a sign of strength." The Dalai Lama

good planets are hard to find-- a song by steve forbert

I have but one lamp by which my feet are guided, and that is the lamp of experience. I know no way of judging the future but by the past.-- Patrick Henry.

Last edited by SailorMitch; 03-05-2007 at 12:18 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook