SailNet Community - View Single Post - Pros and cons of steel sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Re: Pros and cons of steel sailboats

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Hey Mike,

I saw over at BDnet that Wynand built a Van De Stadt or two. I honestly didn't know those were "non-production" boats (i.e. - built from plans by other builders). Is that common for the VDS line? And were/are they typically steel?
Vand de Stadt (the firm, the Na deceased long ago) has in his story several production boats but the one that was built by Wynand is not a production boat but a boat build from plans that can be bought by anybody. That gives to that person the right to build a boat according to those plans.

A production boat is a boat made by a shipyard that buys in exclusivity to the NA the rights to build a given design that normally is a command. The owner of the rights over that design passes from the NA to the shipyard.

That situation is different than the one regarding a one off. On that case a client buys exclusively the rights over a given design to a NA. The boat is going to be a unique one and that's why it is called a one off.

During many years the main source of income from Vand de Stadt was selling plans to build boats. They have a catalog and anyone could chose a model from there but not in exclusivity.

Yes, they have several designs for steel sailboats. On the past steel were more frequent now they design more for aluminium even if they still have steel boats.

Van de Stadt Design - Info

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-01-2013 at 08:20 PM.