SailNet Community - View Single Post - Companionway doors
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough
Re: Companionway doors

The doors look great. While I would have cautioned their longevity three years ago as well, I'm glad they held up.

I thought I would offer our solution to a day cover. We have a custom piece of sunbrella, cut and bound to fit around the entire companionway, including around the sliding top hatch. This has female snaps around the edges to secure to screwed down male snaps in the fiberglass.

A hole is then cut into the enclosure approx 4 inches from the edge, creating a fabric frame around the opening. Another piece is cut approx one inch larger than the interior opening and sewn across the fore edge. This flap can then roll up or down over the companionway, with the sliding hatch closed. Velcro is sewn in a few spots along the edge to hold it down. Just dropping it from the inside secures the velcro. No pressure necessary. Ours is solid, but I suppose you could put some eisenglass in it, although, I'm not sure how easily it would roll.

We also have a couple of straps sewn on the top, so it can be secured in the rolled up position.

Much lighter than wood, no additional stuff to store and very easy to enter and exit. Even when we reinstall the plexi board that goes in when we leave, we still pull the sunbrella cover over it to prevent light from entering the cabin. Good heat and UV control.

p.s. We have a flexible screen as well, with a zipper sewn around the interior, however, never use it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Last edited by Minnewaska; 12-02-2013 at 05:37 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook