SailNet Community - View Single Post - Christmas GPS $600.00 Budget
View Single Post
Old 12-02-2013

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road
Re: Christmas GPS $600.00 Budget

Well, given that budget you are going to be looking at 5" plotters, from what I've seen you basically have a choice of Garmin, Lowrance or the Standard Horizon units for that sort of money. The Lowrance 5 is on a cracking deal at WM at the moment, transducer, Gold charts for under $450 plus taxes so you'd have a few bucks left over for other toys.
I liked the interface on it, I've tried several different manufacturers out and that Lowrance seemed the most obvious, followed by the Garmin with the SH just not seeming that easy. I also didn't like the little stick control on the SH.
I'm sure with some study of the manual they would all be fine. Pretty sure the Garmin and SH don't come with charts, or transducers if you want depth.
Haven't looked at the Hummingbird units, nor the smaller Raymarine which is on special at the moment but I think still out of your budget.
Best bet is to get yourself to a marine supplier and play with a few, see which one you like.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook