SailNet Community - View Single Post - General Thoughts on Gulfstars
View Single Post
Old 02-16-2002

Snap is on a distinguished road
General Thoughts on Gulfstars

That was quite a few years ago. It was before the "peeler" was being used. The gel coat was sanded off using vibrator sanders, the hull was faired using Interlux fairing products, no glass had to be added since very little was removed; the hull was then epoxied with several coats (I can''t recall how many) and then the Interprotect 2000/2001 was used (new on the market at that time). I do remember that numerous coats of the Interprotect system were applied to achieve the thickness the factory rep from Interlux wanted. Over this we put our usual Interlux BottomKote layers, two overall and three at the waterline. We never had another blister for the remainder of the time we owned her (about 4 years) so it appeared to work. We had always hauled the boat every year and never let any of the blisters that had been showing up go unrepaired so that could have been why we had good results with the "full" repair. My wife, the keeper of the funds, tells me the job cost in the neighborhood of $5,000. There was a lot of blister research going on at that time and I suppose there are better products and repairs available now. At that time $5,000 didn''t seem too extreme. I''m not familiar with what it might cost today.
Snap
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook