SailNet Community - View Single Post - Kenner Privateer
View Single Post
Old 03-05-2007
Here .. Pull this

Sailormann will become famous soon enough
The boat I have now is a CS. (moved to Ontario - went native).

The schooner I had when I lived in Nova Scotia (we're talking 20 years ago) was a bit of an anomaly. It was designed by a man named Gerald Stevens, and built by an independent builder using "West System" strip planks. Composit construction was just becoming popular then. There is a small group of these boats on the East Coast, some built in fibreglass, a few in composite wood/epoxy, but most of them are wooden.

Their sole purpose in life is to go as fast as the schooner rig can go. They are called Tancook schooners - primarily because they are full-keeled boats with the same springy sheer and fairly prominent spoon bow, and secondarily because Tancook Island is about a half mile from the (late) designer's drawing board - but they are not perfect replicas of the fishing schooners. They are narrower, lighter, and a lot of them are smaller than the working schooners were.

The Whaler is an actual workboat, with higher freeboard, much more beamy and usually open, occasionally they were built with small cuddies. They tend to be just under 30 feet in length and had very shallow keels with centreboards. They were the basic design used for many lifeboats from about 1910 to the mid-eighties, and are still seen today.

The Tancook prefix is used to describe a whaler that has a prettier than normal sheer. It comes from the style of boat that developed on Tancook Island, in Chester and to some degree in Lunenberg in the late 19th and early 20th century.

The primary characteristics of a 'Tancook' are low freeboard with a fairly prominent, spoon bow line and a springy counter. The Whalers tend to be symmetrical bow and stern.

I have seen some designs on the Internet over the years labelled "Tancook" this or that. Some of them approach the graceful shape, but I have yet to see anyone draw as pretty (or quick) a schooner as Gerald Stevens did.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook