SailNet Community - View Single Post - Express 37 Mk2
Thread: Express 37 Mk2
View Single Post
Old 12-14-2000

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Express 37 Mk2

I visited the Burden site. Very interesting indeed. I can''t imagine that the extended transom and open transom is worth the money or rating hit but I think the rest is an interesting upgrade to a very nice boat. One thing that I think I would do if I were having a carbon mast made is to leave the jib and spinacker hoists as the are but go to a fractional rig to allow more precise de-powering than the masthead rig permits. That way you would pick up more sail area without changing all of your foresail inventory and if you go to a carbon spar you''ll have to build a new mainsail anyway. You may actually pick up the sail area for free since some PHRF regions look at Fractional rigs as being inherently less efficient and so allow more sail area in a frac than a masthead rig. Of course, IMS has reversed that in recent years recognising that the frac''s ability to quickly depower allows it to carry a bit more drive most of the time.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook