SailNet Community - View Single Post - Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See more at
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013

miatapaul is on a distinguished road
Re: Recreational Sailboat vs. Tugboat with Barge: Who Has the Right of Way? - See mor

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Sailing on Chesapeake Bay a few months ago at night. Saw a southbound tug towing a barge. It was pretty apparent that things were going to be close. I hailed the tug on 13 and said it looks like we have a situation here, how do things look to you. (figuring he'd be able to very accurately assess things on his radar) His response was "more importantly, how do things look to YOU!

I said I'd duck behind his tow and inquired how far back it was. Didn't hurt me and didn't delay him. Couldn't have cost me more than a couple of minutes.

Remember CH. 13 is your friend!
He was likely surprised (pleasantly) to hear from you. But that is the best way to do it, make contact, and see if they have a preferred plan, and if not make your intentions known. He might have had a different thing in mind, but once you communicate you both know what to expect. Seems there are a lot of push button navigators out there. You know set the chart plotter and go down below and fix some dinner and a drink and get upset when you hit the buoy you used as a way-point!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook