SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-03-2013

EricKLYC is on a distinguished road
Re: Aureus XV

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
... Regarding not doing the ARC on this one I hope you are kidding. This boat as I have said can work with hydraulics and electric engines but can also be sailed manually as a back up. It even has a self tacking stay sail. This boat is a carbon boat, very strong and with a huge stability. Eric, this is a 15 m boat with over 12 000kg od displacement a B/D ratio of 35% almost all of it in a torpedo at 2.60m . I am quite sure it is a very seaworthy boat not only to do the ARC but to go anywhere.
This is a wonderful design Paulo, don't let me be misunderstood.
But I still would't even do the ARC with it unless I had an engineer on board .

E.g. I wouldn't like the hydraulics to let me down when I want to roll the solent in a squall. Manual back-ups will always be a B plan on boats designed for push-button sailing, in this example it would mean going on deck to lower the sail.

I very much appreciate the NA's 14 point argumentation about the qualities of light displacement yachts .
It only seems very contradictionary to first build the lightest possible hull and then stuff it up with heavy hydraulics, dishwashers etc. .
That's why we have our son Jim as a "weight watcher", with almost dictatorial authorities .

Of course, as long as all the gizmo's keep on working properly, this yacht must be a **** star sailing palace . But we'll probably be faster in most conditions .

Best regards,

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook