SailNet Community - View Single Post - Parrots on liveaborads/circumnavigations – doable?
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007

RAGNAR will become famous soon enough
A pet store a few towns over is owned by the guy that brings the animals featured on various Marthat Stewart broadcasts.

He owns several birds. They're all well very behaved and very friendly -- I've never seen parrots so eager to interact with strangers, and the bird room in this store must see 100s of people a day.

Like you, jgaddis, the owner walks around with them all the time, and though has never clipped their wings, they've never flown away.

It seems that if the bond is strong enough, and you keep them mentally active, they simply don't need to wander.

One issue: They tend to form that crucial bond with one and only person. (That person has to be willing to spend hours with the bird everyday for the first few years -- it seems to be the only way to assure tjat the bird ends up with a good disposition.)

I should say that the reason I've started this thread is because my brothes and I were thinking of buying my father a pet.

The key issues that must be addressed when considering parrots is their longevity and need to form strong, constantly reinforced bonds at a very young age.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook