SailNet Community - View Single Post - 'The Perfect Boat'
View Single Post
Old 03-06-2007
Mostly Harmless

ReverendMike will become famous soon enough
Easy tiger
I don't think anybody's being too nasty... but sailingdog had a good point, let me rephrase: boats are each designed for a different job, some features overlap, some do not, a boat that does everything is wasting its capabilities (and money spent on it) unless it is actually doing everything. The Coast Guard (All Praise be Unto Them) actually need that capability, very few others need more than half your list to do everything they need or want to do, and do it safely. If you're looking to design the next great rescue boat, more power to you (and make sure Tartan gets his cut!), if you're looking to make a marketable addition to the 'boat candystore', think it through a bit more (esp. 'target customers').

And while you're designing boats, i'm looking for a good one for a New Haven Sharpie about 15-17 ft, centerboard (or twin keels if you're up for a challenge) and traditional cat-ketch rig (or is it a 'schooner'?)

Good luck
Mike

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"... the only matter of consequence before me is what I will do with my alloted time. I can remain on shore, paralyzed with fear, or I can raise my sails and dip and soar in the breeze." - Richard Bode, First you have to row a little boat (pg. 94)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook