SailNet Community - View Single Post - Survey for sailors...
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013

Alalala is on a distinguished road
Re: Survey for sailors...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stumble View Post
Alalala,

I tried to answer your questionnaire, but the questions and answers are a little oversimplified. As an example.

I currently own or operate 10 boats, six in the US, and three in Jamaica. Of those three are sailboats ranging in size from 38' to 24', while seven are powerboats ranging from 65' to 13'.

I have had bad experiences with my sails, and have used all of the repair methods you asked about to fix them at one point in time or another. I have also bought multipurpose marine adhesives, and have spent more than $1,000 at a time on them. But this was an order measured in gallons. Since your survey doesn't specify size no good answer could be given.

Secondly a multipurpose adhesive is not all purpose. Is this a sail repair adhesive? Or a structural adhesive (like epoxy), more in the range of super glue, wood glue, ect... All of which could be called a multipurpose adhesive. What I would be willing to pay for one depends on what we are talking about, it's performance relative to the others, and the quantity of the purchase.
Hello! I am trying to get as many information as possible, but I know that my survey is a bit "elemental" if you have different boats and different ways to fix the sails. I was interested in getting some data about the "classical" ways to repair a sail, and how people usually tries to fix it (if they go to the sails factory, or if they try just to fix it with some adhesive like "liquid glue"/epoxy/tape).

Do you have a preferred method?

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kentobin View Post
Your pricing was in euros. You should have converted to dollars.

The quality of your questionnaire is equivalent to something my 11 year old grandson would produce before some adults would ask him questions similar to the ones I listed above.
Thanks for your reply about the questionnaire, very expressive

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
FWIW, I have not had a sail damaged on my boat, but did have one damaged while sailing with someone else on their boat. Beating our way through 6' swells on a 28' Sabre, we tore the jib, and repaired it with this:

I was so impressed by the repair, that I bought a roll for my boat.
Thanks! How much is this tape aprox?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainmeme View Post
And great wine, food and art.
I hope you enjoyed my country!

BTW: Sorry for my language, I am not a native speaker though I am trying to learn as much as possible to be understood. If there are syntax errors or any other kind of thing that should be expressed in another form, I'd be happy to know it and change it.

Thanks everybody!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook