SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailnet has new owners
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailnet has new owners

Funny, by the way the question was phrased, I thought svmeanderer was a bot.

To his point about all of us being the real value here, that's not entirely true. People come and go at their own will. We see it all the time. The real value here is the sense of community and cameraderie. Even if we don't all get along all the time, the site continues on and (almost) everyone is glad to be a part of it. How does that happen? The mods and the rules they enforce. They are the reason the site has flourished, and they are the reason the site could have any real value as an ongoing concern (as opposed to, as Smack pointed out, the incredibly valuable articles section and the vast storehouse of knowledge in the archived threads). If the mods received compensation as part of the deal, then I'd be THRILLED for them! Donna, Ron, Andrew, Brian, Jeff, and anyone else I've forgotten do a great job and deserve to be compensated for the time, effort, and energy they put into making the site what it is.

More fundamentally, it is exceedingly rare for ANY privately-held company to disclose anything about its transactions (either buying or selling). Hell, I'm impressed that a) they told us at all about the ownership change, and b) that the new owner has personally taken his time to chat with us.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook