SailNet Community - View Single Post - 'The Perfect Boat'
View Single Post
Old 03-07-2007

zmfmd is on a distinguished road
guys, i appreciate your input..but most of it is simply saying forget it!..or its impracticle or undowable.
you may all be right from your point of view/needs.
please read my first post..i will clarify it a little more..my main objective is to design a 20 footer boat that that is powered with a 40 hp outboard..the target is the majority of fishermen all over the world, particularly the developing countries that are on their own once offshore..to most any mishap means death from drowning or exposure..no assistance expected in these areas..
i'm not trying to design a life boat.
i researched the statistics as best as i can and came up with the conclusion that a boat with criteria i mentioned would save hundreds of lives.
my research indicated that most fishermen use a 20 footer and thats why im starting with this size....i feel with some modifications i can transform such a boat to fullfill my criteria. The difficulty im having is with selfrighting issue.
If i were to construct a boat from scratch i would have no difficulty doingit..very much in line with what Tartan34c described..but that would be too costly at this stage..and i need to prove it in a real life model and test before starting manufacturing it...so my problem right now..and what im seeking assistace is : how would you modify a 20 ft v-shaped planner hull into a selfrighting boat. Forget about the other criteria because i already have it worked out. One idea is to add a "bridgelike" semicircular structure on top, that is fully-yet differentially bouyant to one side (in addition to the calculated ballast at the bottom)..once capsized the upper bouyant structure would turn the boat enough to one side to have the ballest take over to righten the boat...just one of many possible ideas that at present is most appealing to me. Tartan34c..your this your feild of speciality..what do you think?
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook