SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 12-04-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
No, of course not, it has nothing to do with sailing ability, crews and routing: everybody knows that a Laurin 32 is way faster than a Passport 40 and that a Malo 43 is way faster than a Bavaria Match 42, as the results of that Transat race....hum... transat cruise prove that without any doubt
Without needing to wait for the results of the ARC (as if that would provide any new information on a subject proven on a weekly basis in combined fleet passage races all over the world ) the obvious conclusion is this: An old, traditional, yacht sailed well can, on average, given ideal conditions of wind and sea, travel just as far just as quickly as a new, modern, yacht sailed badly.

This is because, as pointed out by Uffa Fox, Francis Chichester and a host of others who-should-know over many decades - you can't change physics.

I'm regularly reminded of this in our passage races here by continually getting my a$$ whipped by yachts at least 50 years older than my own Classic.. which, again under ideal conditions of wind and sea, is quite capable of beating yachts 30-40 years newer in both design and build. (There's an S&S30 I get particular enjoyment beating - but that's another story for another time!)

Last edited by Classic30; 12-04-2013 at 09:11 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook