SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Full Keel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oregonian View Post
I am once again referencing the ARC+ and the very fine performance of the Laurin 32, Corona Ag. The overweight, full keeled, short, ancient, double ender that is currently sailing faster than many of the much more modern, fin keeled boats. As I have participated in a number of similar events, I must disagree with the assessment of PCP and Classic30 and certainly many dozens of others.
It shows no respect what-so-ever for all the fine sailors in the boats behind the Laurin 32, to imply they are all poor sailors and only the sailors on Corona Ag are good sailors. That is Absurd. The reason that all of those boats are behind the Laurin is because they are slower.
Oregonian, with all due respect, I do think you've missed the point. The ARC is NOT a race and I, for one, am NOT implying they are poor sailors since there are many, many reasons one yacht might travel slower than another over a 2,700 nautical mile course regardless of it's hull design. The textbook treatise on that subject would be, I suppose, "A Voyage for Madmen" by Peter Nichols.

From the ARC FAQs:

"What is a Rally? Our definition of a rally is safe and social cruising. We offer an element of fun competition, but it isn't a race!" and:

"Can I use my engine? This is a cruising rally, so use of engines is OK! Boats in the fun competition Cruising Division must declare their engine hours for their results to be calculated. Boats in the RORC Racing Division are NOT allowed to use their engines for propulsion."

Last edited by Classic30; 12-05-2013 at 01:33 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook