SailNet Community - View Single Post - Cal 27 vs Albin Vega
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013

bajaking is on a distinguished road
Re: Cal 27 vs Albin Vega

Get the Cal! I'm a bit biased as I recently bought one (we are talking about the popular 2-27, I assume, as opposed to the original 27, T2, or 80's 27-3). My Vega experience is limited to stepping aboard one and reading about their many noted voyages.

Either boat will be a more than adequate coastal cruiser.

The Vega is a neat boat, but as an old salt once explained to me, they've earned an enviable reputation as ocean voyagers primarily just because in the 60's some politically dissatisfied Scandinavians decided to head to warmer climes in the only boats they could afford, they survived, and people have been taking to sea in them ever since, perpetuating the reputation on numbers alone (can't verify a single word of that). Of course, they do have some great seakindly characteristics, so if you want a glass boat to circumnavigate the Americas and would prefer one that already has, get the Vega.

But you could cruise coasts and do the Bahamas in a Hobie Cat if you're careful about it. So I'd say don't worry too much about seakeeping reputation. Many production boats 25-30' have made significant voyages, the Cal 2-27 included. Personally, for coastal cruising and weekending, I'd go for the extra interior and deck space and livelier performance of the Cal. (PHRF 198 vs 240!). And while I think function is form, I never could stomach the Vega. The Cal is bloated (where'd ya think that huge salon comes from?), but still a reasonably attractive typical 70's design, to my eye. Each his own.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook