SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013

Oregonian is on a distinguished road
Re: Full Keel

Classic30, Thanks for the response and the chance to, once again, state my position. You are very right. I should have been more clear. The ARC+ is not a race. The boats are simply doing the best they can to get across the ocean under the circumstances that they are in. It is important to take the sailors out of this equation IMO, and examine the boat types only. A very common, I’ll say normal, phenomenon is that one boat type consistently out performs another when simply cruising across the ocean. All of the boats in this rally are in the same position, but the heavy displacement, full keeled, double ender is ahead of the much more modern, fin keeled lighter boats. I am pretty certain that none of the boats behind the Laurin 32 are purposely going slower than they want to. The truth is that those more modern boats, when playing this “cruising” kind of game are slower boats.

You said “ An old traditional, yacht sailed well can, on average, given ideal conditions of wind and sea, travel just as far just as quickly as a modern yacht sailed badly”.
PCP added “Well it has to be a very well designed yacht, it has to be very well sailed and the modern boat has to be very poorly sailed, but yes you can say that”.

Those are your words and PCP’s. That seems to imply that the sailors are the most responsible for the results and that the conditions must be just so.
I am saying “The reason that the boats are behind the Laurin 32 are because those boats are sailing slower. But they are doing the best they can.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook