SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Solo sailing techniques

Quote:
Originally Posted by robelz View Post
I found videos of how to handle a boat singlehanded: Manoeuvres du J111 Le Jouet

I also read some reviews of singlehanded use of a J111. They say the layout works well and it is fast, too but it will lose up to 5 degrees when pointing compared to crewed racing...
Very interesting, thanks for posting. These videos can be of help to any solo sailor, I mean at least for the not very good ones, like me

Besides that the biggest disadvantage will be the boat being less forgiven, less stable and sailing with more heeling than a boat designed for solo race.

Going ahead for changing sales will be more dificult and the boat will roll more downwind needing constant adjustments and because of that it will not be able to be sailed downwind at the same speed a solo boat can, specially on autopilot.

Regarding solo racing it is important to have a boat that is not too demanding and one that does not ask for constant trimming and makes live easy to the sailor. After all they need to sleep while the boat is on autopilot at speed.

With a crew:

Solo:

The equipment:

The Spinnaker:

Gibing:

Some bright ideas:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-05-2013 at 11:03 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook