SailNet Community - View Single Post - douglas 32?
Thread: douglas 32?
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013

Blue Eagle is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Blue Eagle
Re: douglas 32?

Hi, i know this thread is probably cold, but i also own one of these boats - built in hong kong by cape yachts in 1976: when i bought her the engine - a volvo md11c - was frozen solid, but a few solid thumps with a #1 persuder (4lb hammer) freed off the seized piston. I’ve recently re-wired the engine and switch panel and am about to set-to again on the exterior brightwork (the executive version had wood up the wazoo, a real pita). As for the important stuff, her action on the salty stuff, i can only reiterate what other owners have said: an absolute joy in a stink, not bad in a zephyr with fully-battened and extended-roach main and 130% genny - better than my friend’s beneslow anyway! She’s weatherly, points well within 30 degrees of apparent, and even downwind, with the tri-radial spinny up she can clock over hull speed. We race under the PYN rule and regularly feature on the podium in those races. Round the cans we dont bother as its tedious and spills beer! As a cruiser shes not as well kitted-out as some of her north american cousins, but theres plenty of space for six knarly lads and lots of handholds below for when the breeze freshens.
Above all, she has stunning lines with a sea-boats sheer and sweet entry and i wouldnt change her for anything else. No roller-furler and twin fore-and backstays make for a bulletproof yet still single-handable boat. I love her and her sisters!

Last edited by Blue Eagle; 12-05-2013 at 10:02 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook