SailNet Community - View Single Post - Making Companionway Doors
View Single Post
Old 12-05-2013
Asleep at the wheel

jimgo is on a distinguished road
Re: Making Companionway Doors

I had though about gluing and cutting since my current drop boards had already been fastened together by the PO. But I soon realized, much like Ron's post, that it's not that simple unless you're going to get rid of the trim piece that holds the drop boards in place. That's an option, but it will preclude you from using drop boards again. For some people, that may not be a problem. But if you want (or have plans) to sail in bigger water, the ability to add a drop board to keep water from entering the cabin can be handy. I've seen some doors, like the ones Zarcor makes, that fit into the current slot. Unfortunately, those inherently narrow the companionway a bit because of the hinges. As Ron suggested, you could trim down the wooden frame, but then you're decreasing the surface area that supports the drop boards, which I think would weaken the companionway. Not that it's a structural piece - it would just make it easier for someone to kick in the doors.
1975 Albacore 15

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook