SailNet Community - View Single Post - Engine Removal
Thread: Engine Removal
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007

donrr1 is on a distinguished road
Engine Removal

I'm almost ready to remove the old diesel from my boat. I am planning on using the boom to lift the engine from it's bed and hoist it thru the companionway. The engine is located mid cabin which will aid the process. I have 3 halyards plus the topping lift to support the boom. Once the engine is slightly raised from it's bed I am going to remove the last three bolts holding the transmission on and remove it, there will be plenty of clearance to remove the engine. I was planning on using a comealong to do the lifting. I am using a four foot bar to distribute wieght along the top of the boom.

If anyone has experience with this procedure, any suggestions you may have to aid the process will be greatly appreciated. I may or may not have a helper. I need to get the engine out before sailing the boat to it's new home about 20 miles up the Chesapeake Bay in three weeks.

If anyone is interested in a running Arona C295 25hp marine diesel for parts they are more than welcome to it. The seals on the fuel pump are shot allowing fuel into the crankcase, I have 0 interest in using this motor in the future.

Thanx for your time.....

Don