SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice
Re: Bedding Deck Hardware With Butyl Tape

Quote:
Originally Posted by axel View Post
Thanks Maine Sail!

I prefer the teak silvered, so I won't oil it or try to treat it in any way. But the question was whether I should seal the teak under the hardware to ensure adhesion for the butyl.

When I take off the hardware for rebedding (genoatracks, chainplates, stanchions, etc.) I could apply epoxy or varnish to the parts of the teak that will afterwards be covered. Earlier in the thread it has been recommended to seal wood before attaching with butyl as sealant. However, none of the cases referred to mounting hardware on a teak deck, which is why I asked my question.

As I stated, the teak deck is old and weathered, and previous owners have sanded it down, at least once, without taking off the hardware. Thus, the genua tracks and other stuff stands a bit proud, a couple of millimeters above the rest of the deck. When I take the hardware off, it is therefore easy to sand off a little, to ensure all previous sealant has been removed. That of course freshens the teak. So the question is really if the butyl will adhere well to this fresh teak, or whether I ought to seal it somehow.

Sorry for being so longwinded, I just want to be sure that my question is clear. And thanks a lot for you help in this thread and elsewhere on the net!
You can seal it if you want to, but you don't need to...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
The Following User Says Thank You to Maine Sail For This Useful Post:
axel (12-07-2013)