SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To
Thread: Heaving-To
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013

TomMaine is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To

Quote:
Originally Posted by capttb View Post
I don't understand how you could heave to with a single sail without fore reaching, it's the balance of jib against rudder and main.
I've found in winds in the 30's to 40 knot range, my boat will heave to under deeply reefed main alone(I have a yawl which could put my CE forward a bit). Windage forward of the main, mostly from the furled genoa, is enough to keep the bow at about 45 degrees to the wind and waves with the main sheeted tight on the centerline.

However, if I lock the rudder to windward(standard heaving-to position), she may tack. So the wheel is adjusted so the boat settles, hove-to, occasionally fore-reaching for a bit, then settling.

I needed to do the above this past season when my daughter and I had to get some rest from 35 to 40 knot winds on an overnight(we were spent).

The reason I tried this was to keep the bow pointed well forward into the good sized seas with breaking crests, as opposed to beam to, which it will tend to do, hove-to, in higher and higher gusts, if there is even a little jib on the headstay.

We avoided any yawing of gusts pushing the bow down wind(boat broadside to wind/waves) which would have been a much, much wetter and rougher ride.

In lighter conditions, I need the jib(or a good portion unfurled), back winded. Or in lighter-moderate conditions, I'll just heave-to with mizzen alone-sheeted centerline, and rudder locked to windward. The boat rides in a nice slick but it's mostly broadside to wind and waves. Not a good thing in heavier wind and seas.

'I'd have written a shorter post, but I didn't have the time', Mark Twain.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook