SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013

Yorksailor is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

This whole scenario is a difficult problem and the 'Rally Theory' is based on three false premises:

One...There is a weather window on November the first between the last tropical storm and the first northern winter storm that not only exists but can be predicted by a weather router.

Two...There is safety in numbers.

Three...That somehow if you spend enough money on a boat and toys it will magically imbue the owner with the requisite seamanship skills to handle storm force conditions.

I think the question that every skipper and crew, entered into the Rally, should be forced to address in public is:

If we run into 50+ knots and 25 ft seas for 48 hours we all have the experience to handle the conditions. Even if the most experienced person on the boat is injured! And my boat can also meet that standard.

I think that many boats can meet the above test, but there is a significant number that cannot. But then it is a free Country and as the man at the County Fair said,

"You pays your money and you takes your chances!"

But I also agree at least partially with the great English single hander Blondie Hasler, who said,

"Gentlemen should not carry radios because if they do they might be tempted to call for help and put another person (USCG rescue swimmer?) at risk!"

Last edited by Yorksailor; 12-06-2013 at 01:59 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook