SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 12-06-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Arc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Classic30 View Post
.., sailing both classic and modern displacement racing yachts, that there very little comparison in speed between the old boat and the modern boat of similar size - because the physics doesn't change. There's perhaps 1kt in it, but not much more. In fact, taking it to the extreme, in some conditions (eg. very light winds) some old designs can be significantly faster than a modern design due to greater SA/D and greater momentum.

...that did not always mean that the newer displacement yacht design was faster through the water than the old.

..more manoeuvrable, yes, more comfortable, perhaps, but always faster? No.
Finally, when the first have already arrived, I had time to look at the ARC and its 200 boats cruising the Atlantic

World Cruising Club - Fleet Viewer

Regarding the performance cruisers and cruising boats, these are the ones that impressed me by their performance:

The Mills designed Marten 49 performance cruiser is doing a great transat sailing among the big yachts, going side by side with a Baltic 78.

The first 40ft boat is as usual a racing Class 40 pursued by a X 50 performance cruiser, both doing a great race but no better than a wauquiez (45 performance cruiser) that follows both. The first 40ft performance cruiser is a Pogo 12,50. That cruising Pogo 40ft is battling with ...a racing TP52. Besides the Pogo, the fastest 40ft performance cruisers are several First 40 (and 40.7), but at a very considerable distance.

On the real small performance cruisers going very fast and surrounded by much bigger boats, a Sunfast 3200, a Pogo30, an older and smaller Pogo 8.50 and a first 36.7.

Also doing a great and fast transat A Dufour 45e, a Grand soleil 43, a Dufour 40 (all performance cruisers).

Some other cruisers (not performance cruisers) going fast (and this one will put a smile on my friend Smack) a Belgian Hunter 36 (that have the balls to head North for wind), an American Southerly 42RS, a Van de Stadt Moorea 45, a Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 42, a Dufour 385, a Dufour 375 , two XC 45, a Bavaria 40 and a 42, an Amel super Maramu, a Southerly 110, a Dufour 425, a Bavaria 36, a Benetau Oceanis 411, a Bowman 42 and a Dufour 34.

All modern designed sail boats.

Maybe you can take a look where the more fast group of old designed heavy cruisers are: I give you a hint, look at the tail of the transat, several days behind some of those boats I mentioned

I guess that we can call that a difference of speed.

Surely, like we have seen with the Laurin, the way the boat is sailed has a lot of importance regarding speed and that's why I have looked at the best group of boats among the performance cruisers and modern cruisers and I am asking you to look at the best group among the old designed heavy boats.

The best on the two groups will be certainly well sailed but the same cannot be said for the worse cases on both groups.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook