SailNet Community - View Single Post - FlyingPig story
Thread: FlyingPig story
View Single Post
Old 03-08-2007

soul searcher is on a distinguished road
Quote:
- WHAT IS YOUR THRESHOLD! You need to know
I don't know were mine is. all Ive ever done is work on boats. and I've been in really rough seas several times 25 ft maybe 30+, 40 to fifty on the rigs Ive worked on. I don't know if I would be here today. Wave height and fish size seem to go hand and hand with a lot of people.
I have now doubt that Mr. gainer saw 40+ waves. but outside of being in a bad north easter in the north Atlantic or a hurricane or a north wester in the pacific north west most people probably wont see waves 40 feet tall . I have some good slide photos Of taking a 152 ft mini cruise ship from Oakland to Seattle, One of the worst trips I was ever on, of a bulk carrier with his bow coming out of the top of a wave while He steamed past us. that boat had bilge keels and was really cranky. Whip lash was the biggest problem We had a new deckhand on that trip that started puking before we got under the golden gate and was down for the in-tier 5 days it took us to get up to Seattle. You couldn't have bribed him out of bed with a million dollars.
When we got there and tried to drop anchor we couldn't get the anchors out of the hawes pipes we had to go over on a stage and beat them out with sledge hammers. and we were missing a few pieces of steele reinforcing on some window covers. all in all it sucked very much bad. so bad at one point off Eureka Cal. I made one of thos 120 dollar phone calls to tell the GF I was going to be a couple days late getting home.
Cd I'm with you If I ever see fifty ft Im going to need clean shorts
one thing I noticed about Skips post was right off he put the blame on decisions that were made way before the grounding.
I think that speaks well of him.
Sorry for the Ramble
Matt

All boats are sinking it's just a matter of how fast.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook