SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013
Mermaid Hunter

SVAuspicious will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I simply don't see where the organizers of the SDR are specifically fostering it, especially when they have bent over backwards to make it clear that each individual participant is solely responsible for making their own decisions regarding the preparation of their boats, and choosing their own route and time of departure from Hampton...
Strongly agreed. I was at two of their preparatory events. They were very clear about personal responsibility and self-sufficiency.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonEisberg View Post
I even see it among folks just motoring down the ICW - it's amazing how soon after passing thru Norfolk various 'herds' can form, often being guided by some Waterway Guru who might have made the trip before...
*grin* Me too. I've snuck out of anchorages at dawn to avoid a row of ducklings who hope I'll make decisions for them.

I've certainly picked up buddy boats before. One single-hander comes to mind that we shared watches with offshore. Entirely different than deferring decision-making.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorksailor View Post
Three...That somehow if you spend enough money on a boat and toys it will magically imbue the owner with the requisite seamanship skills to handle storm force conditions.
Excellent point. The boats are stronger than the crews. Tactical decision-making on the boat is the biggest factor in success.

Do you know what you're doing? Or do you hope someone will tell you what to do?
beware "cut and paste" sailors.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook