View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Argyle38
Actually, after reading the article, it seems to me that the takeaway is that fall rallies from the US to the Caribbean or Bermuda are a bad idea. I don't see anything there about the organization of this one in particular being in question.
I guess it was the title of his article that made me think otherwise: "Salty Dawg Rally—What The Hell?"
Harries offers a bit more on this, in his reply to Andy Schell in the Comments following his posting:

Quote:

I’m sorry, but I can’t agree. While I particularly singled out the Salty Dawg because of what happened this year, I believe that everything I wrote in this post applies equally to all rallies, including the 1500.

The bottom line is that, in my opinion, rallies are intrinsically dangerous because they mix a financial interest of the organizer to get as many boats to sign up as possible with the natural human concept of safety in the herd, which in offshore sailing is a delusion.

I also think that rallies, together with overly controlling weather routers, have, over the years, eroded the basic decision making and risk management skills of offshore sailors by propagating the illusion that someone off the boat can be responsible for said boat’s safety.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook