SailNet Community - View Single Post - Rallies Gone Wrong
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2013

Argyle38 is on a distinguished road
Re: Rallies Gone Wrong

Quote:
Originally Posted by smackdaddy View Post
So arg - I'm trying to figure out your stance here. Do you support these types of fall rallies?

And if so, are you saying that these organizations should not worry about a standard of experience or safety?
Basically my view is that there is room for all sorts of Rallies with varying levels of requirements, so long as anyone is free to head out of the inlet on their boats, regardless of how well prepared.

If one boat can go out unprepared, two boats can sail together, happens all the time. If two boats can go, then four boats can travel together, and so on until you have a rally. There is really nothing any of us can do about except preach against going to sea unprepared, which is a noble cause in general. But, in my opinion, preparedness is 100% on the captain and 0% on any rally organizer.

If you don't think the SDR is good enough because they don't require enough experience or equipment, then that's fine, don't join. I just don't think they should be prevented from organizing because of that. And the revelation that Hawk isn't ISAF compliant shows that particular standard is not the final word in seaworthiness.

However, after saying all that, joining a fall rally is not something that I would likely do.
Downeaster 38 #40

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook