SailNet Community - View Single Post - Draft minus keel depth on Cape Dory 28?
View Single Post
Old 03-09-2007

chknlips is on a distinguished road
Cape Dory 28

I am not sure but I may have more sea miles on a Cape Dory 28 than anyone I have ever chatted with... My wife and I cruised the Pacific from Astoria Oregon to Hawaii and then the South Pacific (Marquesas) and back on our Cape Dory 28.

I can't say enough good about the boat's sea kindliness.

If there are drawbacks, it is the interior size ( I am 6' 4" tall) and possibly my opinion that has formed over the years of sailing in the ocean that fiberglass is just not the medium I would choose unless you are staying in what is referred to as the 20-20 regions of the ocean. (20 degrees north to 20 degrees south latitude).

However, again, I have never sailed a production boat with such a combination of stability and agility than the Cape Dory 28. The only other boat in the line that retains the perspective of the 28 is the 36 and though I have not sailed one, I would expect it to be very similar if not better in the ocean due to sheer physical size.

The hull was stout and the rig was sufficient to survive some pretty severe weather.

Be sure if you get one to acquire a heavy weather 130 genoa and a healthy boom vang.

Sail safe,