SailNet Community - View Single Post - Full Keel
Thread: Full Keel
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013
Once known as Hartley18

Classic30 will become famous soon enough Classic30 will become famous soon enough
Re: Arc

I've had a look at the fleet viewer and see nothing unexpected. There are some boats being sailed 'racing style', shall we say, others wandering all over the ocean (trying to find the best wind? who knows!) and some being sailed rather 'comfortably'..

Other than those who have retired and turned back (presumably from gear failure?) I'm sure they're all out there enjoying themselves sailing their chosen yacht - full keel or fin - the way they choose to on the course they choose. In a 'rally' where everyone who reaches the finish wins, far be it for me or anyone else to judge one yacht's "performance" over another.

OTOH, if this was a race..

Paulo, FWIW, like many Aussies I'm a keen follower of the Sydney-Hobart and have been for a few decades now. (I suppose I have to admit that it's a family tradition that every year we sit around the TV and watch the start ). I don't know if you've ever taken much notice of this race over there - but it is a race and it has a wide mix of all your favourites: TP52's, super-maxis, maxis, pocket-maxis, performance cruisers and even, sometimes, and old full-keel cruising boat in it.. but, unlike the ARC, its a race. One I've only been in once, didn't finish and will never do again, but one that would probably provide you with a better comparison of performance than the ARC. It starts in 3 weeks..

http://rolexsydneyhobart.com/

Last edited by Classic30; 12-08-2013 at 06:46 PM. Reason: Link added
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook