SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom $$$
Thread: Bottom $$$
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2002

bporter is on a distinguished road
Bottom $$$

Is that $15 a foot is JUST to spray, or does it include sanding and prep, before & after?

It would be cheaper for me to put my boat on a truck and move it from RI to Annapolis and back for the work if it covers everything <g>.

Last year I think I spent about $4400 on my bottom for my C&C 37. We started with 17 years of soft paint on it which I wanted to replace with a fast paint and wet sand. My crew and I spent a longish weekend in Oompa-Loompa suits up to our elbows in Dolphinite trying to remove the soft stuff. We probably got half of it off, then for time reasons had yard finished it. They then prepped the bottom, and sprayed a couple of coats (one was a different colored tell layer).

The first spraying didn''t work properly, so when we went to sand, three rubs with 320 grit paper and we were through the top layer to the tell coat. Oops - the Baltoplate was like a thin paste.

Anyway, to cut this short, because of the time delays and missed schedules (I had to cancel 6 people for wetsanding on three different weekends ''cause the yard missed their dates), the yard agreed to sand after painting for no charge, although they used some electric thing with pads.

So the moral is - the cost of the bottom depends on 1) how much you have time to do and 2) how much prep has to be done and by who. Moral #3 is to be very dubious when the boatyard tells you in February "sure we''ll have it in the water for the first race of the spring series". We ended up drysailing the first three races, since the yard wasn''t done with us they kept dropping me in and hauling me for free.

Don''t even get me started on what happened to the paint DURING the season - the folks from Interlux apparenlty have no idea why the paint decided to bubble up, they''ve been to visit it. My money says improper curing and wrong mixing of the paint.

I think I may be taking my new boat to Waterline systems (nearby hear) this fall for the next bottom work.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook