SailNet Community - View Single Post - Bottom $$$
Thread: Bottom $$$
View Single Post
Old 02-20-2002

Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about Jeff_H has a spectacular aura about
Bottom $$$

$15.00 includes hauling, blocking, sanding, spraying and launching. Depending on my work load at the office when we haul out, I typically have them buff and wax the hull. I also typically get into a project when ever I haul, one year reskinning the rudder, another fairing the keel, another replacing depth sounder and knotmeter transducers and so on. I usually roll out of the yard with a bill well up over a $1000.

On boats over 30 feet the price of a bottom job goes up a bist. For my current 38 footer I think it was $18.00 per foot for the bottom work. Remember both of these boats are coming in with clean, fair bottoms and racing level finishes. Except for projects there is comparatively little prep to do.

Heck, when I had the new boat shipped in from Maine this summer. The cost to strip and paint the mast, do fiberglass repairs to the topsides and rudder, touching up the awlgrip, awlgripping boot stripes and cove stripes, painting the bottom, pulling the prop and shipping out for reconditioning and stepping and blocking the mast came to $3400.00. I thought there was lot of very good work done for the money. Not only that, before the boat was actually shipped I had spoken to the yard and asked if the work could be completed by the end of September (about three weeks from when we expected the boat to show up.) By the time every thing got sorted out the boat showed up almost a week later than I had originally hoped. No one''s fault, the trucking company was super. Bobby still got me splashed by the end of September. Bobby has worked on my boats for the past 14 years and I have absolutely no complaints at all and I''m pretty finicky.

Jeff
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook