SailNet Community - View Single Post - Christmas GPS $600.00 Budget
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013
First String

ltgoshen is on a distinguished road
Re: Christmas GPS $600.00 Budget

After a lot of research and asking a a lot of questions.
I came up with the Garmin echoMAP50s.
It has a lot of stuff I need and I can upgrade it later with no problem. The biggest concern was that it would send the information to my Raymarine st4000 autohelm. I need to be able to steer the boat with the gps some of the time. It has a photo map chip that will help create routes using google earth maps. What that means is that is I put a way point on one side of an Island and the second way-point on the other side of the same island it will create a rout around the island not threw it. I will have to load some basic information into the unit first. Draft, height, length etc.
Not sure if it will read my depth/ temp thru-hull transducer I own now. All of my instruments are rarmarine st50 0183 seatalk. it would be great to link in all or at least the the autohelm st4000 and depth into the new echo50s.

I want to be confident of my off-shore training. I needed a good unit to help with that. I now have a GPS 76 handheld that does not have maps. I think I will upgrade that unit to a hand held that does have maps. and this new unit. I have been studying charting as well. Thanks for all the help guys.
As I move forward in this most excellent journey I have you to thank for much of my advancement in the process.

https://buy.garmin.com/en-US/US/on-t...rod119856.html

Last edited by ltgoshen; 12-09-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook