SailNet Community - View Single Post - Sailboat performance change
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013

Delta-T is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailboat performance change

If understand it correctly, the head sail gives you power and the main gives you heal (and weather helm adjustment). So IMO you would see little dropped performance issue. Did I miss you saying if you are racing or cruising? Sound like you are a cruiser, having a dodger and if performance was a real issue with you would take it down. And, I am surprised no one has mentioned the air stream of the rack of the windshield, more vertical will act more like a sail! That can be bad and good...I can do 2k down wind with no sails up. On my old boat I have a track, 12" long, to adjust the height of the boom. There was a thread a short time ago about the usefulness of this track and as others have done and I did a long time ago was to tack the car from moving. Mine in the all the way up position, my boom just clears my dodger. I am not racing, but would think the lower the center of gravity the better, but not sure if that apply s to the main.

Edit: If you raise your main 6" and shorten the sail you will only be changing the center of gravity 3"

Last edited by Delta-T; 12-09-2013 at 10:57 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook