SailNet Community - View Single Post - Heaving-To
Thread: Heaving-To
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2013
Master Mariner

capta is on a distinguished road
Re: Heaving-To

From reading this thread, it seems as though I have no idea of what heaving to is all about.
If heaving to is to maintain position in good weather or to survive a storm in bad, then what is fore reaching?. Isn't the idea NOT to make way through the water?
Heaving to is not something I generally do in winds less than 40 to 50 and it is something I have done in 60 to 80 knots with some effectiveness; we were not capsized, nor did we drift ashore or onto a reef!
I have always used the smallest jib available to heave to (reefed staysail or storm jib and a storm main trisail, only if necessary) but never the main, and have never had a problem with getting a boat to do what it should, though I have not tried it on a fin keel/spade rudder boat, I'll admit.
Some cloth set in a particular way, the rudder set in a particular way; boat making as little way as possible. It just isn't rocket science, unless, as I said, I really do not understand something you all are trying to convey here.