SailNet Community - View Single Post - Electric windlass - options
View Single Post
Old 12-16-2000

Constantin is on a distinguished road
Electric windlass - options

Have you considered Simpson&Lawrence, Maxwell, Lewmar? We have a S&L Seawolf 900 on our Prout Escale 39'' Cat. Plenty powerful for us.

However, you boat is 2x heavier than ours and 1200W may be cutting it close? The manufacturers should know but I''d always install a windlass one size up from what is recommended.

Our S&L has been very reliable despite a sloppy OEM installation that lacked enclosures for the controls, improper wire sizing, and little preventative maintenance (once in 10 years). That said, S&L charges a premium for standard replacement parts... Standard bearings from INA should not cost multiples of standard price just because I order them through S&L (we didn''t). This may be a good thing to research, although company attitudes may change by the time you need replacement parts.

We''ve grown pretty intimate with the Seawolf after a complete disassembly, re-lube, re-bearing, and re-sealing at home. We removed the S&L solenoid when we replaced the foot switch with a high-amp one from West Marine. The original S&L solenoid had rusted through twice due to lack of sea spray protection in the locker room.

Also, none of our connectors/wires were properly sealed and required a complete removal because the non-tinned wire had corroded significantly and were undersized. Don''t cheap out: Buy the proper wire size (tinned), seal all ends hermetically, and ensure that your electrical system is up to the task of supplying lots of amps to the front of the boat.

If you want to see the rehab, check out vonwentzel.net. That address redirects you to my web-site. Follow the leads to our Prout Escale and have a look at the "Pains in the Front" section.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook