SailNet Community - View Single Post - Broker ethics question
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Doctor Doom

Quote:
Originally Posted by I33
I've never run into this before, have any of you?

I made an offer on a boat "subject to satisfactory survey." When I was arranging for the survey and proposed the name of a well-known accredited and thorough surveyor, the broker said "I won't work with him." This immediately raised a flag in my mind that maybe there is something about this boat he is trying to hide.

I believe that since I am paying for the survey the choice of surveyor is MINE.
This situation reminds me of a home insector that I discovered a number of years ago, who was know as Doctor Doom by the home brokers because his inspections killed so many deals. Not too surprisingly none of them wanted to work with him! He was a degreed engineer and meticulous about detail. I used him five times, including two deals that we walked away from the property due to hidden issues he found (.i.e. no occupany permit on file for a 20 year old home) that I doubt the run-of-the-mill inspectors would have found. He saved our asses in each case, I only wish he had been around to survey my last boat purchase.

Bottom line is, absolutely go with your inspector, and push come to shove, the broker is going to have to shut up and deal.

Last edited by sailingfool; 03-10-2007 at 10:25 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook