SailNet Community - View Single Post - Radios...what to do?
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007
moderate?

camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough camaraderie is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by T37Chef
I have been trying to decide on a new radio for the boat. I have been researching and comparing several things. Thoughts please...

1. Considering how quickly technology changes, (HD radio, satellite, etc) is the durability of a marine grade radio really worth the extra money, especially if mounted in the cabin?
NO NEED FOR MARINE
2. Allot of the marine radios have the capability to access weather channels...worth it? (I have two VHF's that can do that.)
NO NEED FOR WEATHER
3. What about remote control...I would like to mount the radio in the cabin, as mentioned, but also mount a remote in the cockpit. I have had a difficult time finding radios other than marine style with remote control units? If remote, infrared or hard wired?
LOTS OF AFTERMARKET RADIOS WITH A REMOTE BUT YOU HAVE TO BE ABLE TO POINT IT AT THE RADIO...NO RF UNITS THAT I AM AWARE OF. ON WIRED....CORD LENGTH WILL BE A PROBLEM.
4. Are there any radio units that have 6-disk built into the same unit, like you find in allot of new cars these days. I am not opposed to buying a CD Changer as a separate unit, just looking for a possible easier install.
JUST ONE FROM PIONEER (DOUBLE HIGH UNIT WHICH SELLS FOR ABOUT $1500 BUCKS...DON'T GO THERE!!
5. What about satellite radio? Better to have a Sirius or XM ready or a portable unit thats compatible with.
I WOULD PREFER THE FLEXIBILITY OF A PORTABLE UNIT BUT MOST RADIOS ARE READY FOR ONE BRAND OR THE OTHER THESE DAYS ANYWAY. SUGGEST YOU LOOK AT PROGRAMMING AVAILABLE ON EACH TO DECIDE WHAT YOU MIGHT LIKE TO ADD IN THE FUTURE. THERE IS A GOOD POSSIBILITY THAT BOTH WILL MERGE IN THE RELATIVELY NEAR FUTURE ANYWAY.

Thanks
Also: CD changers are complex, prone to failure, additional expense, additional amps and almost obsolete with the advent of MP3 players AND the mp3 format being used to create your own mix CD's which can hold up to 10 CD's worth of music on one CD. My advice would be to forget the changer and get a head unit that plays CD-R's and the MP3 format AND has an auxillary input for an mp3 player or is i-pod compatible. Further discussion on this topic is available at:

Great Cheap Marine Stereo (Pick Two)
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook