SailNet Community - View Single Post - Help! My survey is done!...
View Single Post
Old 03-10-2007

Gramp34 is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kacper
Now, the surveyor's main comments were "You're paying way too much for this boat" After he checked the market data, he came up with a fair market value of $7,800 for the boat. My intial offer was $12,000
You can register with www.bucvalu.com for a consumer account to look up book values for boats. I just checked this one and got Retail Price Range: $7,550-$8,650, so your surveyor's estimate seems in line.

You've already made an offer of $12K subject to survey, and the survey doesn't show $4K in problems. It might be best to cancel your offer and start to walk away. If they want to keep talking, you can show them the survey, make a fresh offer of $7800, and say take it or leave it. (Assuming the $7800 already takes into account the necessary repair work, otherwise, offer less.)

The danger is that you fall in love with this particular boat and the seller has an unreasonable expectation of its value. You're going to need that extra $4K soon enough, so no point in throwing it away.

I wouldn't worry that someone else is going to step in and snap it up in the mean time. If the seller won't budge from $12K, you can look around and if you don't find anything else you like, you can always go back and pay $12K for this one.

Good luck!

Tim
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook