SailNet Community - View Single Post - Interesting Sailboats
View Single Post
Old 12-10-2013

PCP will become famous soon enough
Atantic 47/ Catana 47/ Lagoon 450/ Outremer 5X/ Salona 60/ Sense 50-55/ Jeanneau 57

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiasDePlaya View Post

The A47 named Pounce was completed by Alwoplast in Valdivia, Chile in early June 2013....

Yes, nice boat. I now that Chris White performance Cats are great but they have a lot of sail and you better pay attention to squalls and freak meteorological phenomena (lots of them in the med). I looked about the bigger sister on the net but could only find this movie and there are not so many around (8?)

Don't take me wrong, for sure they had too much sail out than prudence would recommend, but that's the point, on a performance cat you have to be prudent and pay attention. Not the kind of boat for me, I am not prudent enough and I know it. Maybe a trimaran, they give you a much better advise when you are going out of the reasonable and give you also more time to react. Note that this is only applicable to performance cats, heavier cruising ones with a lot less sail are much more harder to capsize and safer boats.

Saying that it is great that Chris White designs are been produced and with success as I can see.

But I find that even if Chris white knows very well how to design hulls, rigs and a cat under the structural point of view I cannot say the same in what regards other points of design: The boat is not really nice, looks an old design and the interiors are very poor, not in what regards quality, but design. Maybe Chris White should associate himself with somebody with a good grasp on the other design sectors to have a better product.

Alwoplast S.A.

Regarding the boats, there was a lot of talk about Chris white designs to be cheaper to build than other designs and I always found that was just BS. The Atlantic 47 costs US$ 1,170,000 a Catana 47 costs about US$ 800,000 and it has a better designed interior.

The rig of the Atlantic is more interesting but the Catana has foils and should have a better performance upwind. Not that I like the overall shape of the Catana (there is a lot better around) but the interior is at another level in what regards space and design.

There is a lot of choices in what regards buying a cat but the types similar to the Lagoon (slow ones) are the only ones not too expensive. A Lagoon 450 costs US$680,000 and with that you can have a Sense 50 and for just a bit more than that price, but less than the price of the Catana, you can buy a Beneteau Sense 55 or a Jeanneau 57.

With just a bit more than the price of the Atlantic 47 you can buy a Salona 60 that has much more interior space, it will not cost more at a marina and I doubt will be overall slower, not to mention a nicer sea motion in bad weather.

That's the problem with Multihulls, as I have stated before: The fast ones are expensive.

Finally if I chose a big cat I would clearly prefer the VPLP designed Outremer 5X that, even if bigger (59ft), as a similar price regarding the A47 . I believe the 5X is not slower (quite the contrary) and has a better interior with much more space and looks better. Probably the 5X is the one I like more regarding price/quality/speed/interior space. I really like a lot the 5x....except the price that even not high for the type of boat is way out of my reach.

Regards

Paulo

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by PCP; 12-10-2013 at 02:17 PM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook